First elected to the bench in 2009, Judge Norm Massry has the experience, dedication, judicial temperament and fairness that the citizens of the Town of Colonie expect and deserve in a Town Justice. For over five and a half years, Judge Massry has fairly and efficiently presided over one of the busiest courts in upstate New York, the Colonie Justice Court, hearing over 25,000 cases.
Norm Massry is a West Point graduate and decorated U.S. Army Aviator. Norm Massry served our country for more than five years on active duty – flying aerial reconnaissance missions along the Korean De-Militarized Zone (DMZ) and in Iraq during Operation Desert Storm. Norm Massry earned a number of commendations and medals, including the Bronze Star and Air Medal, for his service during the Persian Gulf War.
While on duty, Judge Massry promptly responds to the needs of the law enforcement community – seven days a week, 24 hours a day. As Town Justice, Norm Massry has presided over over 25,000 civil and criminal cases (as well as the occasional wedding ceremony). To contact Judge Massry for a wedding, please call the Colonie Justice Court at (518) 783-2737. Judge Massry has proven ability to listen to all parties, judge with compassion, and takes the time to understand often complex issues.
Judge Massry continues to provide independence and fairness in the Court, and conducts trials and hearings efficiently, working diligently to apply the law appropriately, and treating all those who appear in Court with impartiality and respect. Judge Massry and his court staff work hard to make sure that every person who comes before the bench is treated with dignity and respect, and that the parties receive a fair hearing or trial.
Judge Massry is also an active supporter of the Colonie Youth Court program, and works to see that youth charged with crimes are given second chances to become productive, law abiding members of our society. Judge Massry also recently established a Shoplifting Prevention Program in the Albany area. This program, with support of the Albany County District Attorney’s Office and the Public Defender’s Office, provides first-time offenders with an opportunity to learn about the adverse effects of shoplifting, and upon completion, to receive the benefit of a favorable plea bargain. Judge Massry also works with many local substance abuse programs, such as the Honor Court, the Albany County Drug Court, and the Hope House, to help those battling with substance abuse issues break their cycle of addiction.
- Judge Massry served as a board member of the Teresian House Foundation, where he helped to serve the needs of the elderly in our community.
- To help meet the needs of the hungry in our community, Judge Massry served for years as a member of the board of the Regional Food Bank of Northeast New York, helping those who could not afford to put food on their plates from going hungry. The Regional Food Bank provides food to Food Pantries in Schoharie, Albany, Rensselaer, Columbia, Greene, Sullivan and Ulster Counties.
- Judge Massry also served as a member of the United Way’s Community Allocations Panel, evaluating the grant requests of not-for-profit organizations in our community. Judge Massry is also a member of the Albany County Bar Association and the Capital District Women’s Bar Association.
- Norm Massry is a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, and served for more than five years on active duty as a U.S. Army Aviator. Norm Massry flew reconnaissance missions along the demilitarized zone in between South and North Korea, and received the Army Commendation Medal and the Korean Defense Service Medal for his service. Norm Massry was awarded the Bronze Star Medal, the Air Medal, the Kuwait Liberation Medal, and New York State Conspicuous Service Cross for meritorious service during Operation Desert Storm. As an Army Aviator, Norm Massry flew combat missions as an Aerial Scout pilot with an Apache battalion during Desert Storm, helping to liberate the nation of Kuwait.
- Judge Massry’s service continues today as Congressional District Coordinator to the United States Military Academy at West Point, assisting youth in our community with West Point admissions. Judge Massry is also a member of the American Legion Joseph E. Zaloga post, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the J.W.V.
Norm Massry is a lifelong resident of the Capital District, and has resided in Colonie for the past 19 years. He is married, and resides in Loudonville with his wife and their two children.